Enquire now

ACAP Professional Year
Visa Information

Visa Information

If you are an international student and would like to undertake an internship in Australia, you will need to obtain a suitable visa.

Getting Started

Whilst we can assist you with the process of obtaining a visa, we strongly recommend that you visit the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) website in Australia or consult a migration agent for immigration advice. There are a range of different visas that are suitable for our programs.

The information below will help you get started.

Visa application

which visa will you need?

By completing your internship within the Professional Year Program, not only will you experience the Australian workplace culture, but you may also be eligible for an additional 5 migration points. To apply for our programs you will need one of the following visas:

485 Temporary Graduate Visa (either stream)

1. Graduate Work Stream
2. Post Study Work Stream


The Graduate Work stream will allow you to remain in Australia for up to 18 months while you work, travel or study to improve your English and professional skills. The Post Study Work stream will give a minimum of 2 years of work, study and travel rights dependent on the highest qualification you used to apply for the visa. For a list of the qualification visit DHA website.

Who can apply?

You can apply for the 485 visa if you:

  • are under 50 years of age.
  • are in Australia.
  • hold an eligible visa.
  • meet the Australian study requirement.
  • meet the English language requirement.
  • have completed an eligible qualification(s) in the last six (6) months as a result of at least two (2) years study in Australia.
  • have the skills and qualifications to meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)*.

*Applicable to Graduate Work stream only.

How do you apply?

You can apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) through the DHA website or via the post or courier.

Skilled-Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)

NOTE: Applicable for Professional Year – Engineering only


This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to remain in Australia for up to 18 months with no restrictions on work or study. During this period you may choose to:

  • travel
  • work
  • undertake further professional studies
  • study to improve your English skills

Who can apply?

You can apply for this visa if you completed an engineering degree at a recognised overseas institution in the last two years.

How do you apply?

For more information about applying for these visas please visit the DHA website.

Bridging Visa with full work study rights


This visa allows you to stay in Australia until your application for a new substantive visa is decided.

Who can apply?

You may be able to apply for this visa if:

  • you are in Australia
  • you already hold a substantive visa
  • you have applied for a new substantive visa that can be granted to you while you are in Australia.

How do you apply?

For more information about applying for Bridging visas visit the DHA website.

Secondary visa holders of other visas (e.g. Student, 457, 186, 187)


If you are a secondary visa holder of any of the following visas; 

Please contact your local ACAP PY office to find out if you could undertake the Professional Year Program.

How do you apply?

For more information about applying for these visas contact your migration agent or visit the DHA website.

kick start your career today!

Apply for your Professional Year or give us a call to discuss your options.

Enquire Now

Your details

Select 1st of the month if you are unsure of the exact date.

If you are unsure about your final year exam date, an estimated date is fine.

Tell us more

By submitting my details through this form, I acknowledge that I have read and accept ACAP Professional’s Terms and Conditions and our Privacy Policy.